Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Self-Love Challenge - Celebrate February in a New Way!

Ahhh February... the month of lurve. I've always had a fun and light-hearted approach to this month, because for most of my life I've been single, and had single girlfriends by my side to celebrate with. I think that's so beautiful, but I'm ready to take this whole love business to the next level - I'm ready to celebrate myself all month long. Yes, you heard me. I'm going to be celebrating the love I have for myself all February long, and I want you to join me!

If you're reading this, you're probably already aware that self-love is one of the most powerful goals you could ever have. Rather than being some egocentric ploy to spend more time thinking about yourself, making self-love a priority is one of the biggest ways you can serve the world. A person who loves themselves is kind to others, always thinking about how they can best serve the world, and is in a near constant state of joy, which energetically permeates whatever space they're in.

Self-love is a journey. We don't get there overnight. But by inviting subtle processes to mark our intention to love ourselves, we make the big shifts. (I'm pulling wisdom from Gabrielle Bernstein in here)

Therefore, for the month of February, I will be posting small but profound ways that we can create lasting self-love. I'll be posting 7 ideas, once a week. You don't have to do all of the activities I post, they're simply meant to be inspiration for ways you can bring your own self-love practice into being. You can choose to do one self-loving activity a week, or like I'm suggesting, one self-loving activity a day. Feel free to switch it up and add your own ideas into the mix. After all, it's about you!

W E E K   1   -   T H E   M O N T H    O F   S E L F - L  O V E


Day 1 - Practice Yoga at Home

Most of us only do yoga when we go out to a class, but I've recently discovered how incredible it is to practice in your own home. You can do it for as little as or as long as you want (Today I did about 25 minutes), you can do all of your favourite poses, and you have the awareness that you're not doing it because of anyone else. There is no instructor to keep you going, it's just the love you have for yourself and your body that keeps you on the mat. I like to go through some vinyasas and cat curls, and then see what else my body is feeling. If you're not familiar with yoga poses yet, check out Yoga Journal's free online sets or sign up for a free 15 day trial of YogaGlo for full online classes!


Day 2 - Clear Your Home With Incense

Natural Incense has potent medicinal + spiritual qualities if directed with intention. Go out and get yourself some good quality incense that you love the smell of. Then light it in your office, bedroom or bathroom and say aloud "Thank you Incense for clearing my home, and charging it with loving vibrations. May the spirit of this tradition permeate my home, and cause love to fill every corner of my space". 


Day 3 - Treat Yourself to a Sunset

Everyone knows sunsets are beautiful, but few of us realize the true implications that a sunset can have. The colours, which tend to be orange, red, pink, and purple-ish, relax and give power to our lower chakras. This helps to ground you, allows you to feel more sensual and open, and prepares you for a relaxing night's sleep. Make sure to get outside (no windows!) for sunset, to reap the maximum benefit. If you want to go even further with this, meditate with Doreen Virtue and her 'Sunset Inner Peace Meditation'.


Day 4 - Buy Yourself the Perfect Crystal

Crystals are magical. Anytime I even look at mine I feel a sense of love and mystical connection that helps me to feel grounded and joyful. Today, go to your local crystal / new age store and say this prayer  "Inner guide, please clear my field and help to find the perfect crystal for me. Specifically I am looking for a crystal that helps me to feel more love for myself. Thank you!" - Choose the first one you touch. If you need some more guidance, please read my post on 'How to Choose the Perfect Crystal.'


Day 5 - Start Your Day Off With a Smoothie

Many of us tend to start our days with coffee, which although not bad in and of itself, can have negative effects over time. (Coffee is acidic, stresses the adrenals, dehydrates us, and can cause anxiety) Instead, substitue your usual morning elixer with a superfood smoothie! Depending on what you put in yours, smoothies can be packed with anti-oxidants, fibre, protein, and easy to digest energy that will help to fuel you all day long. To get some ideas for yours, check out Young and Raw's smoothie recipes. (Also, how fun is it to say smoothie? Smoooooothie smewwwwwwwtheeeee)


Day 6 - Have a Colour Therapy Bath

Colour Therapy means to use the vibration of colour to affect your mood or overall disposition. When used frequently (for example, eating green foods because your body tells you to, or wearing purple because it feels right) colour therapy can have a significant effect on your life.

Today, try having a pink colour therapy bath. Simply add a Tbsp or so of beet powder and about a cup of sea salt, and get soaking! Pink corresponds to the heart chakra, and a feeling of overall radiance. Notice how it makes you feel to soak in it :)


Day 7 - Go To Your Favourite Store

It's such a treat for me to go to my favourite crystal + book stores. I go not just to buy, but to soak up the environment of the healing products around me. I can spend hours, literally, going through books, pulling tarot cards, and playing with crystals. I've also met some pretty amazing people this way.

What's your favourite shop? Perhaps a vintage boutique or a cupcake store? Maybe an outdoor adventure spot or a cozy cafe with books for sale? Today, visit it just because! Enjoy your time there and make an experience of it.


Are you ready for your self-loving month? Please comment below if you have any other ideas or questions on how to luuuuuurv yourself completely!

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts, so inspirational and always exactly what I need to hear...thank you for this reminder!
    It's hard when you are wrapped up in learning to love someone new to remember to continue to feed yourself love first and foremost. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And if you want to have a long, healthy relationship with the person in question, self-love is a must!! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your lovely blog from entreprenista and I can't tell you how much I love this post. I struggled with anorexia for years and learning to love myself has been the hardest part of recovery but I adore everything you suggest here. I've never heard of a color therapy bath but man I want to try that now! It looks so calming and relaxing. Also I never thought about crystals being healing but now that you mention it, the small one I have does really give me the feeling of love and spirituality. My biggest form of self love would have to be doing art! It just soothes my soul and gives me peace <3 I can't wait to keep reading and exploring your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tayla that was a beautiful message! Crystals are wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete

TOP POSTS